Wednesday, April 24, 2013

my life as an archivist's assistant

I'm finishing up my job in the near future. The title of Archival Assistant which I have so adored will belong to my past and some other girl for the summer. All of the negatives I, so lovingly, placed on the scanner will end up in the freezer, double zip lock bagged, with oven toasted mat board and a humidity tester to keep everything in check.

It's been fascinating getting to know the history of my new-ish community through donated photographs. I've also got to catalog a ton of really cool objects and artifacts. That cataloging may have taken place in a freezing building during mornings that lasted ice ages, but it was still pretty sweet. And then there are the expected coffee runs that come with being an assistant. I loved it all.

And I'll miss it. Only a couple more days and I'll have logged my last hour at the museum. Hopefully my next job will be half as neat. But probably not.

No comments: