Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Extremely Loud and this book is going to make me cry

I love reading books. Books are a magical way into imagining each other and I am grateful for all the talented writers that give me peeks into what it's like to be another person, even if I'll never really know.

I'm currently reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer. Seventy three pages in and this book has already broken my heart and then failed at an attempt to make it whole again.

But I knew what I was getting into. Everything is Illuminated, also by Foer, was the same. Beautifully devastating. I'm going to go back to reading but please enjoy a brief snippet:
"We need much bigger pockets, I thought as I lay in bed, counting off the seven minutes that it takes a normal person to fall asleep. We need enormous pockets, pockets big enough for our families, and our friends, and even the people who aren't on our lists, people we've never met but still want to protect. We need pockets for boroughs and for cities, a pocket that could hold the universe. Eight minutes thirty two seconds. But I knew that there couldn't be pockets that enormous. In the end, everyone loses everyone. There was no invention to get around that, and so I felt, that night, like the turtle that everything else in the universe was on top of."


 

No comments: