Friday, April 3, 2009

Why you should read Jane Austen (BEDA)

Here we go again. I'm not sure about this commitment I'm making here, but I guess I'll just have to see how I feel at the END of April...

I really love the movie entitled, The Jane Austen Book Club. Grigg is simply hilarious. I saw this movie before I ever read Jane Austen but since then I have discovered that Pride and Prejudice is a cliche for a reason. It is a truly amazing book. The thing about reading books is that eventually (usually) something better comes along. This does not apply to all books. But some series I've been temporarily obsessed with loving seem kind of childish after you have read about Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's romance. I look up at the Twilight calendar in my room and I'm just perplexed that I ever thought that was such an amazing love story. Because Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam *giggle* Darcy's love makes SENSE. It's plausible and understandable and at the end of the book you think, wow it's so great they found each other because they are so right for each other. While at the end of Twilight you're just so swept up in Edward's sparkling arms that you fail to realize how unrealistic it is, until you've been disillusioned that is (or read Breaking Dawn).
Jane Austen makes you feel so cultured. I actually read Pride and Prejudice, not just saw the movie, I read it. And seriously what a great story. Not only is the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth so mesmerizing and captivating the narration is so dignified and the plot has so many twists and turns. The characters are developed in a way that we sometimes cannot begin to comprehend and basically, what I'm saying is just read the book. It's great and you won't regret it.

Well what follows that? A huge description of how great Jane Austen is has to have some amazing transition to some other insightful topic.
Hmm okay let's see. What did I do today? Well I played Chinese checkers... with myself. Yes I actually put all the marbles on the board and then took turns being all of the players. Slightly strange? Yes. Insanely fascinating? Also yes.
What else? I ate nachos. And played card games. And yes I'm starting to see a theme with these blogs. 

New plan: Tomorrow I am going to take paper with me everywhere and write down note-worthy things that might have some sort of interesting unexplored life lesson that I can figure out while writing a blog post. We'll see how that goes... tomorrow.
Until then, farewell. I don't feel like proof reading this, so if there are errors in this talk to my agent.

No comments: