Friday, April 10, 2009

The Art of Bowling

**How I yearn for some Peeps right now. Maybe it's just that it's Easter or maybe a human body needs a certain amount of sugar covered, artificially coloured, artificially everything, marshmallows to survive.** 

Today I have many ripe ideas to write about. It's increasingly odd how one day the tree of ideas can seem so barren and then the next it's ripe for the pickin'.

I have this weird arrangement in my brain about bowling balls. You know how at bowling allies they have those little mini lanes that shoot the balls back up? Then they come into the line up and smack each other. Whenever I'm bowling I feel like I need to separate them and soften the blows. 
When it comes to choosing one to roll down the lane, I always pick the one at the back, because I figure the one that just came out of the mini lane, just had a turn. 
That's probably another inanimate object I could have ranted for. They take so much abuse those bowling balls. The bowling pins, as well

In case you haven't guessed (or you were there with me last night :), I went bowling. My Pathfinder unit went with the six Rangers and we were divided into "teams" who were given a Ranger for a leader.
Now as some people might remember from last night I was debating to anyone who would listen (can one person debate? I only had one side, though) that it wasn't cool that the Rangers had been assigned as our team leaders. What qualifications do they have to lead our teams? Are they super bowlers? (I will answer that: no, the are just regular bowlers) We, the Pathfinders, are just as good bowlers as them. And since when has age had anything to do with anything? In our society it has everything to do with everything, but just because the Rangers are older, doesn't mean they should be our "leaders". What happened to democracy? I appreciate that it's supposed to be a bridging event and we wanted the Rangers to be separated so we could "bond" or whatever, but could they not just have been an addition to our team, as opposed to giving them this "leader" title and therefore some sort of superiority?
Anyway, in case you were wondering, my team had the highest collective score (who am I kidding, I wasn't even wondering, but there it is anyway).

Going with my theme of lists to fill up space here is how we bowled one of our games...

Fun Bowling
1. Bowl normally
2. Bowl with your opposite hand (I got a half strike at this turn, because I hit them all down at once on my second turn) 
3. Bowl holding hands with someone
4. Bowl normally
5. Bowl with two hands
6. Bowl backwards between your legs
7. Bowl sitting crossed legged on the floor (not the ceiling or anything it must be the floor)
8. Bowl lying down on your tummy (where does the word 'tummy' come from? stomach, tommy?)
9. Bowl standing on one foot
10. Bowl normally

My favourite was the lying down one. The thing about Fun Bowling is that you don't get the highest score, and it's kind of difficult (even with that left handed half strike of mine-woot woot) but it's really fun to watch. If I saw a group of people doing that in a bowling alley (holding hands, lying down, turning around and bowling through their legs) I would probably think they were all being hazed or something. 

I was thinking about whether bowling can be considered a sport. I was leaning towards the negative, because it's more of a social activity if you think about it. For the two[ish] hours we were there, what percent of that was actually spent bowling? It's mostly about cheering people on (us Hopping Bunnies were especially big on the cheering; and yes we named ourselves that) and talking.

Then afterwards there was MORE socializing when we went out and ate food. It was really just a big night of hanging out. My cheesecake was okay. Nothing to really write about but here I am anyway.

That is about all I have to say one bowling. Another thing that intrigues me (that I do not have the time or patience to write about) would be the history of bowling. How did it start? Who played? Fred Flinstone? (is it Flintstone?) 

(I just had another topic idea that I will share with you, tomorrow) Until then...

No comments: