Saturday, April 4, 2009

Road Use Misconceptions and the Awkwardness of Badminton (BEDA)

Badminton is such an awkward sport. Especially when you are playing with complete strangers. It's weird because you're exactly far away enough that it's awkward to talk to your opponent, but at the same time you feel all serious and it's just odd. Another irritation is when your opponent is the exact eyelevel of the net, so you can't actually look the person in the face without going on your tiptoes.
Even though it's extremely awkward, I genuinely enjoy the game, so I always find myself smiling. When I score a point, I'm smiling, and sometimes I'm worried that I'm coming off as gloating. Which I'm not because I'm just happy to be playing the game. I have this weird thing where whenever I'm surprised it usually shows up on my face, though it's possible this only happens while I'm playing badminton.
So someone will hit the shuttlecock right towards me and as it hits me in the shoulder I close my eyes and cringe.It's kind of silly because if you've ever hit a shuttlecock you'll know they're about as light as a birdie. But it's this weird reflex that I can't even control. Even when I'm losing, I still smile and cringe and basically have a good time. Because it's just a game. One that I like.

On a completely unrelated subject I now want to make my feelings known on traffic signs. I was reminded of this by seeing a bumper sticker that says "If you can't operate your turns signals, what makes you think you can operate the rest of the vehicle". This bumper sticker channels exactly how I feel about directional signals. I'm not even driving the car and it irritates me. Why is it a habit so many slip into?? The other vehicles on the road need to know where you are planning to go. Without that information they cannot obey the rules of the road with ease. 
I've adopted this pet peeve from my parents who are always getting annoyed at other drivers. Which brings me to my next topic, talking to other road users.
Why do drivers try to communicate with other drivers with their words. I will say this once and for all: you are inside your metal box, and they are inside theirs; they cannot hear you. Maybe you have to be a driver to understand but why even bother saying anything at all? Unless they are extraordinary lip readers who's eyes are trained on you at the precise moment of your outbursts, they won't hear or listen to you. It's the same thing with sports viewers who talk to their screens. Is it some strange urge to feel connected to the action? A weird sensation that causes you to burst out for fear of being forgotten. 
That is all for today. Only you will know when I start getting better at this. Let me know :) .:dftbA:.

No comments: