Thursday, April 9, 2009

Alluring Acronyms

A shortish book review of The Book Thief:
Well I just finished reading The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak and I have to say it was pretty spellbinding. Any book about a young girl living in Nazi Germany is going to be pretty gripping, but this book had another twist. It was narrated by Death. The style of the book was a little hard to comprehend in the beginning but eventually the reader catches on to the flow as it wraps itself around, Liesel, a ten-year-old, German girl. The characters, especially Liesel and her best friend Rudy, were compelling and delightfully rounded.
Death, as a narrator gave the book a theme of chance. Liesel's foster father escaped Death twice by pure chance and the book really showed how much death can just be at random, unintentional and unforeseen.
By the end of the book Liesel was fourteen and she had seen many things. The childish spin on the book gave the reader a new perspective on World War II. Her parents hiding a Jew in their basement gave the story the unspoken theme of an extremely difficult situation and how people cope with doing what they think is right, while the whole world is frowning against them. (run on theme  :)
I would definitely suggest this book to others; it's definitely worth reading. ( I seem to like the word definitely when writing reviews)
I award Five Stars. (that's right, I capitalized)

*****************

Now that that's out of the way, I have to come up with an actual topic. Hmm, haw.... okay well while I am procrastinating actually coming up with something I'll make a list! 
9 Ways to Procrastinate
1. Make lists
2. Organize your underwear drawer
3. Rearrange your furniture
4. Check your email
5. Clean out your inbox, delete unnecessary emails
6. Make sure all the clocks in your house show the exact same time
7. Clean out your gerbils cage
8. Read blogs
9. Write blogs
Befriend your Inner Procrastinator. They are always there for you. (props go to: http://maureenjohnson.ning.com/profiles/blogs/25-ways-to-get-to-know-your)

Here we are again. Back at the beginning. **taps fingers on keyboard**
It's strange that I'm sitting here waiting for an idea to be cranked out of my fingertips. I'm usually opposed to forced creativity. Forced short stories, poetry, forced art. It just isn't right. If you feel like painting, pick up a paintbrush. If you have an idea for a story, write it down. But the method where you sit down at a desk and someone says 'here's a topic, get inspired', just doesn't work. 
Then there's time limits and deadlines. I was in this essay writing class and the instructor put a gold jug/vase in front of us and said to write poetry about it (in a essay class, you ask?), which totally defeats the purpose of poetry. A poet is supposed to feel something about something and then write about it. It doesn't work so well the other way around. At least not for me. Maybe some people can do the whole, here's an idea, write a story, but I simply can't. 
Technically, I can. I mean, I have in the past. But I believe my best work always comes from spontaneity (where's your spontaneity, Bill??!).

Okay maybe now I'll do some forced acronymming. How about APRIL?
All Pears Really Irate Learners. (doesn't really work...) 
Any Perilous Risk-takers In Lululemon? (a bit better) 
Always Pickle Right In Lemon-juice (yes I hypenated)
Apparently Pens Really Irritate Ligers (lion+tiger, in case you didn't know)

Well on the note of ligers I think I will leave you. .:dftbA:. (don't forget to be awesome/don't forget to blog [in] April) --btw I hope you watched the Anglerfish song, see below. **Genius! Genius!!!**

No comments: