Friday, April 1, 2011

how to lose and cry trying (too much?)

I'm not sure exactly when BEDA hit my consciousness this year but it was realistically in the last 48 hours. BEDA? A voice in my head seemed to say. Right, that thing that sparked this huge part of my life avalanching off in its own uncontrollable direction. It's April tomorrow. I guess it's time to blog every day for thirty days.

And now here we are. I almost forgot you BEDA, after getting home from a raucous night of partying with the Social Justice Film Society members, eating tiramisu and playing checkers that ceased to resemble the game of checkers. Ah, nine-year-olds, you have taught me so much about losing.

You see, I was always a competitive child. I tried to hide it, stifle its shameful urges for gloating and a generally bad attitude. Coupled with my competitive nature was a sensitivity that has seen me leave many movie theaters with tear stained cheeks. I'm a middle child and an emotional one at that.

Which brings me to Monopoly*. I have played many games of Monopoly that have ended in tears from myself and every other game of Monopoly I played ended in me winning (at least, until recently when I did not win Monopoly and also didn't cry**. Personal progress for the win.). Thinking about it as deeply as I can bear to, it wasn't so much that I was sad not to be winning so much as despair at the general unfairness.

Like, I didn't ask to be the one to roll last and have to land on everyone else's property before being about to purchase one of my own and a railroad at that***. I didn't ask for my little sister to shove a hundred dollar bill at me in charity. That's pitiful. That's sad. Who wants to be a charity case?

But tonight, I was able to set it all aside. I was able to shove away my ego and play checkers with someone who had different rules than I did. I was able to lose gracefully (and sometimes purposefully) and though it wasn't the most thrilling time of my life, it was a good moment. I mean, yes, I was playing with a nine-year-old girl and yes, I didn't exactly fight to the death to win but I was able to see it for what it was. A game.

And life... goes on.

*Monopoly, in case you did not know, can be traced back to the original creator Elizabeth J. Magie Phillips who created a Monopoly like game called The Landlord's Game to demonstrate the pitfalls of capitalism.
**I almost cried of *happiness* when I finally landed on the one property that I really wanted. But those would have been tears of *happiness*.
***I have contempt for railroads. After you have them all, there is no building potential. Unless someone is already significantly downtrodden, you cannot win a game and bankrupt another person with a railroad. And all I think about is bankrupting my friends.

No comments: