Wednesday, April 6, 2011

pondering time

I'm so young to spend so much time thinking about the human invention of time but so be it. What I've actually been dwelling on lately is my use of it which I guess is somewhat reasonable. We should all be looking critically at the ways in which we spend our time, the amount of which is remarkably undetermined and indeterminable.

Right?

I was thinking about how I pass my days in relation to how I feel like I should pass my days. And I've been thinking about how I should stop resenting the different between those two things. Let's look at my today for a case study.

9:01am

  • Woke up and started reading City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare (henceforth referred to as CoFA).
  • Got out of bed for the sole purpose of putting a bagel in the toaster and pouring a smoothie.
  • Went back to bed with bagel, smoothie and book. Read for a few hours.
1:11pm
  • Left bedroom to commune with family.
  • Drank tea. Talked about future house mate possibilities.
  • Went back to my room to finish my book.
2:00pm
  • Got tired of CoFA. Played ukulele.
  • Ate lunch (pizza pretzel and salad).
  • Thought about the possibility of doing schoolwork.
  • Did not do schoolwork.
3:30pm
  • Finished CoFA. Updated Goodreads. 
  • Sorted through emails.
  • Started a blog post.
  • Thought about working on my novel. 
  • Did not work on my novel.
5:00pm
  • Thought, What? It's 5 o'clock? Where did the afternoon go?
  • Got ready for Guides. Ate dinner. Ran out the door.
  • Had fifteen minutes of "quality time" with my dad on the way to Guides.
6:00-8:30pm
  • Volunteered as junior leader at Girl Guide meeting (i.e. helped 9-12 year old girls needle felt purses and make headbands for our accessory show--proceeds going to a charity that is currently unannounced).
9:00pm
  • Hit up the end of a campaign meeting. 
  • Tried to think of a question that represented the entirety of Canada's youth to ask at an all-candidates meeting.
10:30pm
  • Got home and set about to finishing a blog post.
According to the above, I spent most of my day reading which makes perfect sense. I love reading. I also volunteered and went to a political planning meeting. I practiced ukulele. More sense. These are things I'm passionate about. This is all good, right? *sigh*


But what about everything else? What about my English course which I'm interested in? What about Media Savvy (another course)? What about my novel which, I am sorry to say, I have not touched in two weeks?

Do we spend time on things that are important to us naturally or do we need to push forward what's most valuable? And how does one decide what's most valuable?

I hate thinking 'I'll do it tomorrow.' I hate feeling like there's not enough time in the day. I'm sixteen! I'm supposed to be living, not thinking about how I should be living.

I guess I'll try that out tomorrow. Or today.

No comments: