Tuesday, April 19, 2011

shattering the illusion: the Mortal Instruments... add ons

On April 5th, YA author Cassandra Clare released the fourth book in her... trilogy? And though I went to the bookstore that day and finished it by the following, it took me a few days after that to realize that I was less than impressed. Before I start off on a rampage that I won't be able to control, I just want to say that I don't mean to come off as a book purist. On second thought, I don't actually care how I come across.

The Mortal Instruments, as originally conceived.
I enjoyed the Mortal Instruments. The trilogy really made me look twice at fantasy which up until that point, excluding Harry Potter, I'd been pretty quick to write off. The characters were compelling and witty, the plot moved along at a nice place and the tension seemed ideal. The ending to the three books was so great; I can't even describe it. Everything seemed to be tied off, most things neatly and it was just satisfying overall.

When she announced in August that she was going to be publishing three more books in the series, I was astonishingly disappointed. Really? I remember thinking. But everything ended so wonderfully.*


Well, my initial reaction still holds. I wish she had just left it how it was. As it is, more conflict has been dragged in front of the characters who, if you thought had developed or progressed in the previous books, you were wrong about. There were pages and pages in each chapter of pure infodumping and everything plot related happen in the last quarter of the book. Previous to the climax, everyone just stood around and talked, whined and angsted. It was just so contrived.

Before I met the author, the words 'money grab' would have rebounded in my head but Cassie Clare seemed too genuine and passionate about her characters. So I've changed my diagnosis. I think she's having trouble letting go. Which is fine. I love[d] the characters, too [until she came out with this new book that tainted every positive thought I've ever had towards them.]. She is perfectly entitled to cling to them endlessly, put them through the same conflict and simulate the exact same character development. I don't have to read the books. But I've learned something from this and for that I am thankful. Don't extend a series unless you have a really, really, really good reason for doing so. Hot make out scenes are not one such good reason, nor is separation anxiety.


I'm not sure at this point if I'm going to read the next two as they come out or try to forget their existence. I'll get to that when the time comes. *sigh* *head shaking* I have to go think about something else now.

*After reading the book, I feel like City of Bullshit would have been more appropriate. But now I'm starting to sound unduly mean.

1 comment:

Vita said...

I haven't read any of the series but I'm under the belief that if a part of a series (book, TV show, etc) is so awful that it really just taints the name of the series in general, anyone is free to just... sort of... ignore the travesty. I'm totally blanking right now and I can't think of an example when I've done that in the past, but let's take Twilight, for example. The first three books weren't exactly wonderful, but Breaking Dawn was so astonishingly bad that I honestly wouldn't begrudge any Twilight fan for just...sort of... ignoring the last book.