Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Moving and Moral Matters Solved

This morning, I woke up at 8:30am. This is unusual, to say the least. It's possible that I might make this a regular occurrence, simply because I like having the house to myself. It's so quiet. I like it.

Two major happenings filled up my day (one more than the other):
1. The autumn Girl Guide cookies arrived. (not all of them, but 24 cases are residing in my dining room at present)
2. My dad moved.

Up until the actual act of moving, I was uber excited. I thought I liked moving. But I realized it's not moving that I like.

What I like about moving is the furniture arrangement and such. I love putting stuff away and hanging pictures on the wall and finding out where the couch fits best. I like rebuilding the desk and hooking up the computer.

Carrying boxes from one place to the other? Not so much.
It's not that I hate it. One good point is that I'm sure my muscles got a good workout from it, but it's not something I love.

I can't wait until everything is put away. That is what I truly love, seeing the transformation of empty house to livable home. Sounds a bit cliche, but's it's the truth.

On another note, literally, I was writing some Nerdfighter notes today. I'm going to be all sneaky and drop them off when I go to buy Paper Towns in paperback.

The decision about whether or not to buy Paper Towns has been a moral dilemma I have been debated over for the past week. Somehow, my mom's friend loaned/gave me a yellow Margo copy (not what I would have chosen) and I feel guilty buying a second when I have a perfectly functional book right on my shelf. As guilty as I feel, however, for the trees cut down and carbon emissions, I have convinced myself that it's in support of something important to me (i.e. John Green) and that the hardcover doesn't really fit on the shelf anyway (it doesn't match his other books).
I'll just make sure I lend it around to everyone I know so that I'm not the only person benefiting. Who wants to borrow it first?

1 comment:

Vita said...

Where's yo dad moving to/from? I think the act of packing depends a lot on the people with you - if they're having fun, it's easier for you to have fun, right?

Random comment, but have you finished The Catcher in the Rye yet? I wouldn't be surprised if you did. I finished it just an hour or two ago (silly assigned reading). Er, I dunno about you, but I'm in LOVE. :D