Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Despair for the World

I'm going to talk about one of those incidents that makes me groan and fear for the future of our society whilst listening to A Very Potter Musical. It's things like AVPM that keep me from following Dobby's lead continuously banging my head against the wall. Thank you, Harry Potter, for making my life livable.

Let's just jump right in.

To get to my neighbour's house, you have to walk up a big staircase. It's kind of laborious and creepy because the stairs creak and you feel like you could come crashing through to the ground (and your death) at any step, but apart from thaaat the trek is just peachy.

It's not that I have a problem with stairs, though they are a bit irritating, the problem is that at the top of those stairs is the mailbox.

If it hadn't been for my extensive (*laughs*) work as a newspaper carrier, I might not care about this, but as it is I have a lot of compassion for those who trek through sun, rain and snow to fearlessly conquer evil barking dogs and finger eating mail slots just to deliver your mail to you. So I have a big problem with lazy-assed people who can't even walk down a flight of stairs to retrieve their own damn mail.

We've broached the subject with our closed-minded, selfish neighbours before. The mail carrier has also made a comment. Their flimsy argument is that they are worried that people may steal their mail if it is any farther away from the door. Now I know it's a bit pretentious, but has anyone ever seen those locking mail boxes in Home Depot and Canadian Tire? Yes, it's kind of conceited to assume your mail is important enough to be stolen, but there are options. You may need one of these if you're in the mafia, say, or maybe if you're an FBI agent, or just really paranoid, and maybe I'm just naive, but I don't think the average citizen needs to be so worried and mail theft.

Are people really that lazy and selfish that they can't grab their mail on the way to their door and save the mail carrier a tiresome journey? Seriously people, get over yourselves.

Now I'm going to go back to hitting my head against wall to the beat of AVPM.

No comments: