Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Google Trumps All

Today it poured. To clarify it poured rain. So naturally, I went outside, in my bathing suit, and let the cold, wet drops fall on my bare skin. Needless to say, I didn't last very long outside before I ran to the bathroom for a hot shower, but it was a very enjoyable exercise, nonetheless.

It's the weird things I do that make me such a nerd. I like to dance in the rain. I like to skip down the side-walk. I like to wear mismatched socks.* I look to point out absurd things in life that no one else takes notice of.

My sister, Rachel, works close to the beach at a restaurant. The beach is downhill from my house, and it's a nice scooter ride down, but a laborious walk up. Thank you, Government, for public transit.
Sometimes Rachel gets a ride to work with my dad, and sometimes with my mom. Getting to the point, my parents each have their own way to drive from my house to the resturaunt. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but at the moment that I thought of this, I figured it was somewhat symbolic that they take different routes. Everyone thinks in different ways, so one person may think they know the fastest way to get somewhere while another person thinking the exact same thing could be going in a different direction.

I decided to ask Google Maps how it would get to the beach and discovered that the genius that is Google takes an entirely new route. More research: Googles route: 4 min., 2.0 km; Mom's route: 5min., 2.0 km; Dad's route: 5 min., 2.1 km.
It's possible that it's only interesting to me that my mother takes a more fuel efficient path to dropping my sister off at work than my father, but I hope this has taught us all one thing: Google knows best.

*HP Spoiler: As a memorial to Dobby, may he rest in peace.

1 comment:

Renata said...

Nerdism FTW!

(and Google too. And a lot of other things...)