Tuesday, April 10, 2012

my turn to leave

y brain gets the fact that you come as much as go,
though this logic exists incognito.
The rest of me is the tender skin under a band-aid,
and I’m not sure if what you were covering up will heal,
or if anything was ever broken.
But, damn—it hurts coming off,
regardless of speed or efficiency.

I don’t want you to stay forever,
wouldn’t ask that you’re always around.
But I’m jealous, okay? That you get to depart,
choose when to leave, and how.
I feel a bit stuck, like a ship run aground,
while you come and you go as you please,
never thinking of the transparent privilege you have
to ever so simply just leave.

I stand in my doorway
as you dish out your hugs
to my family members at large,
sink into the frame,
out of place in my skin,
not knowing where
in this puzzle
I belong.
You slink towards me,
I’ve forgotten I exist.
But I still garner the last embrace.
Your exit resembles the quick untying of shoelaces,
to me it feels like a corset pulled tighter.
I’m selfishly wishing to strip it off,
untie my own shoes and run barefoot
towards the ocean
until the tide and my own inhibitions
bring me back
effortlessly
to you.

See,
You don’t have to lie alone
in a bed that not the smoothest conman could convince you is half full,
nostalgia replacing the heat in your cheeks,
as your body forgets
what it was like to conform to another.
You don’t have to remain,
air stained
by my lingering presence
as I go off to conquer grander maybes.
Perhaps that’s not quite fair,
I hope you’ll forgive me
for looking at this through my own eyes, for now.

I hope you’ll forgive me
for asking you
to give me my chance,
to walk out the door,
Plant kisses and wish you goodbye.
Step slow with regret, out of sight, out of everything,
leaving nothing but memories behind.

But wait.
I want the pleasure of coming back too,
I want to not have to wait.
To show up at your door
when I want, when I’m ready,
swagger up with my unmemorized gait.
Not always be peering out windows,
and shuffling around empty rooms,
trying to convince myself I’m not waiting
for anything
for anyone.
for you.

Is there a way I can grasp hold of this balance,
not always be the one left behind?
Or should I accept my fate as the beach
give up hopes of becoming the tide?

No comments: