Thursday, January 20, 2011

do we have a world view and is it time for a new one?

I've brought my world view philosophizing here to my blog. Enjoy!

First of all, to try and narrow down some of the wordings to follow (a difficult and yet important step for any philosopher), here are a couple definitions I found for the word or phrase 'world view':
"A set of commonly held values, ideas, and images concerning the nature of reality and the role of humanity within it." -environment.nelson.com/0176169040/glossary.html
"A comprehensive meaning system, providing a frame of reference (often unconscious) for interpreting the world" -school.sufferingfools.net/Archive/RELS_357_01/Apocalyptic%20terms.doc
"A framework of ideals and values through which to interpret the world."

I frequent a Philosophers' Cafe put on by Simon Fraser University that's held at my library once a month. The topics range from all different types of philosophy. I've been going about six months now and really enjoy it.

The latest topic was phrased, "Is it time for a new world view?" and though I was curious to see how the presenter (we have a different one every month) would define that, I was somewhat disappointed by the actual event. At the beginning we had something of a visualization of the future and the woman who led the cafe started right in on what kind of values she thought our new world view should harness (empathy, environmental awareness, respect, love). Meanwhile, I was stuck back on the question of whether we needed a different world view. While everyone else seemed to be venturing idealistically further into what humanity needs to change about the world, I still had some different questions in the back of my mind.

The demographic at this cafe is mostly older, educated men and women. I'm the youngest person there by a couple decades at least (as of yet) so I think it's interesting to see how perspectives can change from generation to generation. Personally, I can be a bit jaded so when it comes to looking at the world. I try not to let pressing issues make me bitter but sometimes everything looks pretty bleak. So as I was listening to everyone agreeing with each other about how important empathy is, I was asking myself if such a thing as a world view even exists.

I don't know if there's any possible way for everyone on this planet to see anything the same way. Yes, everyone in the room that night could agree that empathy was important but could they agree on a finite definition of the word? And could they draw a line of empathy, deciding who was worthy and who wasn't? I'm skeptical that they could and they're all living in the same town. Think of what would happen if you (hypothetically) brought the entire world into a room and asked them to agree on values.

I got frustrated that everyone was speaking about dreams of the future when what I, as a young person, want to see is action. What use is it to talk about the importance of love if you do nothing to change the state of our world? And before you get excited about what our future world view looks like, can you please tell me what a world view even is and what our current world view looks like?

So I put a few questions out to you, whoever is reading this. Think about it. Respond if you like. Either way, thanks for reading this.

1. What is your definition of the term 'world view'?
2. How do you quantify a world view? (i.e. should we be looking towards our government, our marginalized people, our teachers and mentors, our youth or anyone else to tell us how we look at the world? Should we be examining our actions and reactions, our treatment of each other, the way our mass media portrays modern life? What are the sources for defining something so subjective?)
3. From your unique perspective, what does our world view look like? Is there any way to characterize what our world view currently is?
4. Is your personal world view different from that of mainstream society?
and last of all
5. How do you think the messages we get through mass media relate to our world view? Does media help to reflect our world view or is media actively helping to shape it?

Unfortunately, there's no way I can make all of this makes sense to everyone so ask your own questions if you have them and I'll do my best to answer.
I'm eager to hear all of your responses on this.

No comments: