Wednesday, December 29, 2010

RTW: Best Book of December


.

Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing--or reading--related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
This Week's Topic:
What is the best book you read in December?


Undoubtedly and without conscious thought, one book is in my mind and this could be because I am one to love the book I'm with but it could also be that I've possibly never felt more alive whilst reading any other book.

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

I know, I know. I talked about this on December 6th but, hey, I didn't ask the question, did I? No, no I didn't.

I'm just about finished reading Jellicoe Road for the third time this month--or ever for that matter. It's practically the only book I read this month, honestly. Nonetheless, it is also the best. Even, dare I say it, the best I've read this year. Or ever. I think it's a bit early to tell.

This is a book that gets you lost entirely within it's pages. I laughed, cried, stayed up way too late and was completely satisfied--almost too satisfied if that's possible. I even read it out loud to my sister within twenty four hours of finishing it the first time. And if you doubt this book's quality, ask yourself this, "What kind of book would inspire someone to sleep for only five hours and then be so desirable that its reader has a tangible need to share it with someone else and ends up reading the entire novel out loud in the next day?"

Several times during this third reading, I've actually had to close the book after certain parts, shut my eyes and smile to myself. And it's true that I feel more alive with it as my company.

Beautiful and haunting, I recommend Jellicoe Road unequivocally. It might ruin other books or your romantic encounters or life in general but it's unutterably worth it.

No comments: