Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Bone Thief

I feel like blogging. I have a story I have been meaniing to tell. I can't tell if it's as funny as I seem to think, but I guess you can decide after you've heard it. 

I have a joint-ish backyard with my neighbours. There's this huge yard and we both have sliding glass doors, which we usually leave open in warm weather.

My neighbours have a dog. He is a keeshound (if you're into that kind of thing) and extremely fluffy. I have never seen this dog when he was wet, but I'm sure he would be a third of the size he normally is, if he were soaked the the skin. He is a fluffy hairball of a dog, and this may be irrelevent information to the coming story, but he is quite unattractive. Oh and his name is Willy. Or Willie, I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, sometimes when the door is open, Willy will sit outside the glass door, looking all sad and pathetic. He sits there and sometimes he comes in and looks around. He usually keeps his head down but if you look up at him and he sees you staring at him, he'll leave, like he knows he shouldn't be in there. You don't even need to tell him. He KNOWS.

We have these red containers that we keep the dog's food in. One for kibble, one for doggie bone treats. After restocking the bones we had so many in there we couldn't put the lid back on. But that was okay, because Maggie wouldn't take more than one per day. It was like a self reward system. She's very intelligent, that dog.

One day, the weather was nice, and we left the door open. I was sitting in the living room, when I saw Willy walk into the house, head straight towards the dog treat containers, grab one, and walk out the door. As soon as he was out the glass door he sat down looked right at me and started eating his stolen bone.

It was so odd, I just started to laugh. He had known exactly where the treats were kept, like he'd been watching us all this time, and had finally caught on to our routine. Seriously who does this dog think he is?

No comments: